Out Of State Adoptions
Out of State Adoption Attorney In Southern Utah
At Ruesch & Reeve, PLLC, our Utah adoption attorneys work with couples desiring to adopt. The law office of Ruesch & Reeve is helping couples build their families and bring their dreams to fruition through adoption.
If you are considering adoption in the state of Utah, particularly a private or interstate adoption, one of the most important first steps is consulting with an experienced Utah adoption law attorney.
Adoptions involving children born in another state require ICPC approval and may involve laws of another state. A child’s biological parents must first terminate their legal parental rights in order for a child to become eligible for adoption in Utah.
At Ruesch & Reeve, we’re here to help you comprehend and achieve the steps needed to complete the out of state adoption process.
A general outline of steps we take to ensure your adoption is safe and legal:
- A petition for adoption of the child is filed with the court
- Attorney develops a plan to terminate the parental rights of all birth or legal parents of the child
- Birth father signs a Consent to Adoption or Denial of Paternity according to state law where the child will be born, or a check of the birth state’s paternity registry is made
- Child is born
- The birth mother signs a Consent to Adoption according to Utah law or state law where the child is born (usually between 24 hours or up to three days after birth)
- The child is placed with adoptive parents and waiting period begins (six months in Utah)
- Paperwork is filed with a court based on birth parent consents to adoption requesting the court order official temporary custody of the child be with adoptive parents pending finalization of the adoption
- Post-placement supervisory visits are made to the adoptive family, and subsequent reports are prepared
- Attorney gathers or prepares all documents required by law for the finalization of the adoption
- A hearing date is set for “finalization”
- Adoptive parents appear in court with the child and their attorney for the official adoption day
- Judge signs adoption order
Contact us about your case…
Ruesch & Reeve, PLLC.
86 North 3400 West
Building C Suite 101
Hurricane, Utah 84737